Following is a simple way to keep up with people and activity on Vimeo—for example, the Staff Picks channel. When you follow someone or something (such as a channel or a tag), you receive updates on that person or thing in the feed on your homepage. Following updates appear on your feed in real-time, and you’ll also see any new updates whenever you log in to Vimeo.
Note: Keep in mind that any person you follow will be notified via email that you are following them, and they will follow you only if they choose to do so.
In this article:
Benefits of following
We recommend using the follow feature while your browse Vimeo for the following reasons:
- Following is an easy way to stay connected to what others are doing on Vimeo.
- When you follow others, you increase your chances of discovering videos you’ll enjoy.
- Following is a sign of social goodwill — it shows the person you follow that you are a fan of what they do on Vimeo.
- Following makes sharing simpler. The people you follow show up as suggestions when you want to share something you find on Vimeo.
Finding things to follow
Here are some tips for finding things to follow:
- You can join Groups, and you can follow people, tags, categories, and Channels. These will also appear on your homepage.
- We built a special page to help you find your friends on Vimeo. You can use Facebook, Twitter, or Google to search Vimeo for people you already know. And when you find your friends, you can follow them right away. You can find this page from your settings.
- Browse Channels and categories to find and follow others who are interested in the same things you are. Even better, you can even follow the Channels and categories themselves.
You can unfollow things on the Viewing preferences tab in your account settings. Under the heading "Manage your feed," select either people, categories, Channels, or Groups. For categories, Channels, or Groups, simply uncheck the box next to what you want to unfollow. It will be removed from your Viewing preferences tab upon refreshing the page.
For individual people you're following, you can choose to unfollow their videos, likes, or appearances. Unchecking all three boxes will remove the person from your Viewing preferences tab upon refreshing the page. We don't send notifications for unfollowing.
If you'd like someone to unfollow you, you'll need to block them. Click the "Add a person to block" link on the Privacy tab of your account settings, paste their Vimeo profile URL in the text box, then hit the blue "Add" button.
When you join Vimeo, you’re automatically opted in to follow our Staff Picks channel, which our Curation Team updates every day. There’s no formal submission process for how to become a staff pick on Vimeo, and any creator can have their video chosen — you don't need to be a Plus member or higher in order to have your video Staff Picked or to retain a Staff Picks badge.
Check out these resources to help you improve your chances of being highlights on Staff Picks:
A good place to start is to make sure that your thumbnail and description are clear and pique a viewer’s interest. You should also seek out appropriate groups and channels to add your video to, and make sure it’s appropriately categorized and tagged as well as rated for content.
In addition to the designation of Staff Pick, there are three new levels of prestige: Best of the Month, Best of the Year, and Staff Pick Premieres. For information about each of these levels, head over to this blog post.