As a paid Vimeo member (Plus and above), you can turn your albums into embedded playlists, allowing you to showcase a collection of your videos through one player on your website. Embedded playlists can be viewed on both mobile devices and desktop
Embedding a playlist
To get started, go to your album and click on the embed icon at the top of the page (it will be the < / > symbol). This will open up your playlist’s embed settings.
From here you can decide whether or not the embedded playlist will be responsive (so that the video will adapt to the height and width of its container) or if you have custom dimensions you’d like it to stick to. This information will be reflected in the embed code above that you can copy and paste into your website’s code.
Here is an example of an embedded playlist:
Privacy and playlists
Setting your album to Public will allow your videos to be viewed in your album on vimeo.com and in an embedded playlist. You can also set your album to “Hide from Vimeo,” which will allow it to be private on the Vimeo website, but embeddable.
For albums that are set to public or hidden ("Hide from Vimeo"), videos that are set to a privacy setting other than “Anyone” or “Hide this video from Vimeo.com” will not appear in the embedded playlist.
For password protected albums, videos set to any private setting will appear in an embedded playlist.
Any individual video’s embed privacy setting will be respected when embedding a playlist. For example, if your individual video has domain-level privacy, it will respect that setting even when added to an embeddable playlist. If the domain setting does not match the site where your playlist is embedded, your video(s) will not appear in the playlist.
Managing videos in a playlist
Videos will play in the order in which they are placed in an album. In the video manager, you can drag and drop any video in an album to change its playback position.
You can also add or remove videos from your album at any time. Similar to individual videos, any changes made to your videos on Vimeo.com will be immediately reflected in your embedded playlist. There is no need to update your embed code after making adjustments to the videos inside your album.
Inserting a playlist into another website
In order to embed a playlist, you must use its respective embed code (whether fixed size or responsive). Album URLs are often not supported by applications that rely on URLs instead of embed codes (for example: themes, plugins, galleries, etc.).
Here’s some instructions on how to insert embed codes into the most common website builders:
- In the Wix website editor, click +Add, select More at the bottom of the list, then choose the HTML Code option
- Click the Enter code button above the new gray block on your page to bring up the editing modal
- Make sure the Code option is selected, then paste in your playlist’s embed code
- Click the blue Update button, then publish the changes to your site
- Enter editing mode for your Squarespace page, then click the + Add block icon in the top right of the page
- Scroll down through the menu until you reach the More heading, the select the </> Code option
- Paste in your playlist’s embed code , then hit the Apply button
- When you’ve finished making all edits to your page, hit Save in the top left corner
- Choose Video from the selection of post types
- Select Add video from web option
- Paste in the playlist embed code
- The embedded Vimeo player will load and you’ll have the option to add text to Tumblr post
- When you’re ready, hit the Post button
Some embed features that are available for individual videos are not available for embedded playlists. This includes:
- Video interaction tools (end screens, cards, email capture)
- Live streams (archived live streams are supported, as they behave like normal videos once archived)
- Player customization (colors, buttons, custom logos, controls)
- Autoplay (though once a viewer hits play on the first video of a playlist, the rest will autoplay)
- Defaulting to a specific playback quality (e.g 1080p, 4K, etc)
- Starting playback at a specific timecode (via #t)
- Sharing options
- Watch Later/ Offline Playback
- Third party player support (via direct links)
Video Aspect Ratio
You can add videos of all shapes and sizes to an embedded playlist, but we recommend keeping the aspect ratio consistent for best results. If your playlist contains mixed sized videos (for example, 4:3 SD videos and 16:9 HD videos), black bars will be appended to the sides of the player to maintain your video’s original aspect ratio in the playlist.
Vimeo Legacy widgets for embedding
Longtime Vimeo members may remember using now outdated Flash-based widgets, known as Hubnut and Montage, which allowed you to embed collections to your website. These, unfortunately, were not mobile-compatible, and we’ve ceased supporting them.