This feature requires a Vimeo Standard or higher or a Vimeo Pro or higher membership.
Portfolios are customizable websites that allow you to showcase your videos to viewers. You can create as many portfolios as you like, and customize them to your specific tastes without any Vimeo branding.
Note: Currently, only account Owners are able to add or remove videos in portfolios. Other team members on your Vimeo account will not be able to do so.
Learn more about the privacy of videos in portfolios at: 'Privacy of videos in collections and review pages'
In this article:
- Create a portfolio
- Configure portfolio settings
- Add videos to your portfolio
- Remove videos from your portfolio
- Customize video arrangement
- Customize a portfolio domain
Create a portfolio
To create a portfolio, follow these steps:
- Hover over your profile image in the top navigation bar and click Collections.
- Click Create a new portfolio.
- Add a title and description.
- If you'd like to make your portfolio private, check the box next to Password protect this portfolio.
- Click on the + at the top right corner of a video thumbnail to add that video to your Portfolio. After you click the + sign, it will change to a - sign to let you know the video has been selected.
- Click Create This Portfolio.
Customize portfolio settings
To customize a portfolio's settings after you create it, follow these steps:
- Go to your Collections.
- Click the gear icon in the upper right corner of your portfolio thumbnail image. This will take you to your portfolio's Settings page.
- Navigate to the Appearance tab. Here, you can do the following:
- Choose from our available default Themes to give it a unique look and feel.
- Control which details will be displayed along with your videos.
- Customize the color scheme.
- Upload a background image and header logo.
- Change any CSS on your portfolio pages.
Add videos to your portfolio
Account Owners can add up to 100 videos to a portfolio, and there are a few different ways you can do so.
To add videos one at a time to a portfolio, follow these steps:
- Go to the Collections tab in your video settings.
- Check the box next to your portfolio name.
- Click Save.
Alternatively, you can add a video to your portfolio from the video’s clip page by clicking the icon that looks like stacks of paper and checking the box next to your portfolio name.
To add multiple videos to a portfolio, follow these steps:
- Hover over your profile image in the top navigation bar and select Collections.
- Beneath the portfolios header, click the gear icon on the portfolio you want to access.
- Navigate to the Videos tab and click + Add More Videos.
- Click on the + at the top right corner of a video thumbnail to add that video to a portfolio. After you click the + sign, it will change to a - sign to indicate that the video has been selected.
Remove videos from your portfolio
Account Owners can remove a video from portfolios by clicking the red X on the thumbnail of the video. A video can always be added back to the portfolio if you change your mind.
Note: If a previously removed video is added back to a portfolio, it will return to its original spot in the portfolio. For example, if your portfolio is sorted by Most Recent, the video’s placement will be based on the time it was originally added, not the time you re-added it.
Customize video arrangement
To customize the way the videos in your portfolio are arranged, follow these steps:
- Click on the Always arrange by dropdown menu.
- Select Manually.
- Drag and drop your videos into the order you want.
- Save your changes.
Customize a portfolio domain
As a Vimeo Pro member or higher, you are more than welcome to use a custom domain for your Portfolios. You can use a domain that you already own (http://my-rad-site.com), set up a subdomain on your existing website (http://portfolio.my-rad-site.com), or purchase a new domain to use (http://my-new-site.com).
- Set up your domain – Purchase a domain from a registrar such as DreamHost.com, name.com, or 1and1.com. Alternately, you can set up a subdomain on your existing site. (Contact your registrar or hosting service for instructions.)
- Update your CNAME Record or A Record – If you want your Portfolio to live on a subdomain (http://portfolio.my-rad-site.com), you will need to follow your registrar's instructions for updating your CNAME Record so that it points to vimeopro.com. If you want your Portfolio to live on your main domain (http://my-rad-site.com), follow your domain registrar’s instructions to set the domain’s A-Record to 22.214.171.124. Note: It may take up to 72 hours for these changes to take effect.
- Update your Portfolio Settings – In your Portfolio Settings, enter your domain or subdomain under the "Portfolio URL" section, in the “Custom” field, then save your changes.
- Note: Currently, when you set up your own custom domain on a portfolio page, the connection will be HTTP. Installing SSL for custom domains is something for which we do not currently have the infrastructure to support. For now, we can only support an HTTPS connection for Showcases, and over our own domains (e.g https://vimeo.com and https://vimeopro.com). Any portfolio page can be shared over HTTPS via the Vimeo URL provided.
- Test your new Portfolio domain – Open a new browser window and navigate to the domain or subdomain you just set up. You should now see your Portfolio! If you don't see it, and it has been more than 72 hours since you updated your CNAME or A-Record, contact your domain registrar for further assistance.