Portfolios are customizable websites that allow you to showcase any number of your videos to prospective clients, collaborators, or the world! You can create as many Portfolios as you like, and customize them to your specific tastes without any Vimeo branding.
Portfolios are only available to Vimeo PRO and Vimeo Business subscribers. If you are a Basic or Plus member, you'll need to upgrade to PRO or Business to unlock Portfolios.
Creating a Portfolio
To create your Portfolio, hover your mouse over your profile image in the top navigation bar and click Collections. From there, you’ll want to click "Create a new portfolio."
Once you’ve created a Portfolio, you can customize it to make it your own. Choose from our available default Themes to give it a unique look and feel. You can control which details will be displayed along with your videos, and also customize the color scheme, upload a background image and a header logo. For the CSS masters out there, we allow you to change any CSS on your portfolio pages.
To customize and edit your Portfolio’s theme, hover your mouse over your profile image in the top navigation bar and click Collections. From there, click the little gear icon you see in the upper right hand corner of your Portfolio thumbnail image — this will take you to that portfolio's Settings page. Click on the Appearance tab, and then start customizing!
Adding videos to your Portfolio
Once you’ve created your Portfolio, there are few ways you can add videos to it.
If you’re adding one video at a time, you can do this in the Collections tab in your video settings by checking the box next to your Portfolio name, and hitting Save. You can also add a video to your Portfolio from the video’s clip page by clicking the icon that looks like stacks of paper, and checking the box next to your Portfolio name.
To add or arrange multiple videos, access your Portfolio’s settings by hovering over your profile image in the top navigation bar, and selecting Collections. Beneath the Portfolios header, click the gear icon on any portfolio to access that Portfolio's settings.
Make your way over to the Videos tab and click "+ Add More Videos." Click on the "+" at the top right corner of a video thumbnail to add that video to your Portfolio. After you click the "+" sign, it will change to a "-" sign to let you know the video has been selected. You can add up to 100 videos, and you can choose the way you'd like to arrange your videos from the "Always arrange by" dropdown menu. If you choose "Manually," you can drag and drop your videos in any order you want. Be sure to save your changes when you're finished.
If you decide you don’t want a video in your Portfolio, you can delete it by clicking the red X on the thumbnail of the video. You can always add the video back into the Portfolio if you change your mind.
If a video that was previously removed is added back to a Portfolio, the video will return to its original spot in the Portfolio. For example, if your Portfolio is sorted by Most Recent, the video’s placement will be based on the time it was originally added, not the time you re-added it.
Customizing a Portfolio domain
As a Vimeo PRO or Business member, you are more than welcome to use a custom domain for your Portfolios.
You can use a domain that you already own (http://my-rad-site.com), set up a subdomain on your existing website (http://portfolio.my-rad-site.com), or purchase a new domain to use (http://my-new-site.com).
- Set up your domain – Purchase a domain from a registrar such as DreamHost.com, name.com, or 1and1.com. Alternately, you can set up a subdomain on your existing site. (Contact your registrar or hosting service for instructions.)
- Update your CNAME Record or A Record – If you want your Portfolio to live on a subdomain (http://portfolio.my-rad-site.com), you will need to follow your registrar's instructions for updating your CNAME Record so that it points to vimeopro.com. If you want your Portfolio to live on your main domain (http://my-rad-site.com), follow your domain registrar’s instructions to set the domain’s A-Record to 188.8.131.52. Note: It may take up to 72 hours for these changes to take effect across the Interwebs.
- Update your Portfolio Settings – In your Portfolio Settings, enter your domain or subdomain under the "Portfolio URL" section, in the “Custom” field, then save your changes.
- Test your new Portfolio domain – Open a new browser window and navigate to the domain or subdomain you just set up. You should now see your Portfolio! If you don't see it, and it has been more than 72 hours since you updated your CNAME or A-Record, contact your domain registrar for further assistance.
We offer password protection to secure access to your PRO Portfolios. When creating a new Portfolio, you can choose to password protect it by clicking "Password protect this Portfolio" on the “Create a Portfolio” page. To password protect an existing Portfolio, head to the Privacy tab from the Portfolio Settings page.
When you add videos to a Portfolio, anyone with access to the Portfolio will be able to watch all of the videos inside, regardless of the individual videos' privacy settings. This means that:
- If you add private videos to a public Portfolio, anyone will be able to watch the videos through the Portfolio.
- If you add private videos to a password protected Portfolio, anyone with the Portfolio password will be able to watch the videos through the Portfolio.