Basic membership is perfect for a taste of Vimeo. As a Basic member, you receive:
- 500MB per week of upload space, up to 5GB total account storage
- Basic embedding features
- Basic analytics for your videos
- The ability to download converted video files
- Some privacy controls for your videos, such as "Only me," which makes it visible to you and no one else.
- The ability to upload up to 10 videos per day
- The ability to create 1 channel, 1 group, and 3 showcases
✦ Guidelines for Basic members
Basic membership is free forever, so as long as you are following our Guidelines and logging in every once in a while, your account will remain intact. We consider accounts that have not been used for a full year to be inactive, and we reserve the right to remove inactive accounts. Not to worry though, we’ll give you plenty of advance notice if your account is in danger of deletion due to inactivity, and you’ll have an opportunity to reactivate it.
Businesses may not use Basic or Plus accounts to host videos. If you want to upload commercial videos, you must use Vimeo PRO or Business. Commercial content includes:
- Videos promoting or representing a for-profit business or brand
- Videos containing any form of advertising
- Videos hosted on behalf of a business (i.e., uploaded to Vimeo and embedded on your company’s website)
- Product demos and tutorials
There are exceptions, however! If you are an independent production company, author, artist, or non-profit, you may use any account type (Basic, Plus, PRO, or Business) to showcase your work.
You can go to vimeo.com/upgrade to compare our plans and upgrade to Vimeo Plus, PRO or Business at anytime.
✦ Lapsing from paid membership to Basic membership
Most of the video platforms that offer free storage are financially supported by in-stream advertising. Vimeo, on the other hand, is a proudly ad-free and subscriber-supported video platform. The cost of our Plus, PRO, and Business memberships covers the expenses of all of the services we provide, including feature development, uploading and conversion, video storage, and video playback.
Because video storage and delivery are ongoing costs to our business, there is a limit to how much storage we can offer to our free members. Though there is a 5GB total storage cap on Basic accounts, you will still get to keep 10GB of the video uploaded during your paid subscription after you lapse to Basic. Any videos that exceed this limit will be moved to our archives for up to one year, starting with the videos you first uploaded to Vimeo as a paying member, and will no longer be viewable by you or anyone else.
Please note: If your total video storage exceeds 5GB, you will lose the ability to upload new content upon lapsing. You can free up storage on your existing account by deleting some of your older videos, rough cuts, or backups until you are under the 5GB cap.
If you recently downgraded to Basic, you can visit this page for more information.