A group is a mini-community within Vimeo that allows people to interact and share with one another. It’s different from a channel, which is user-curated destination to watch videos. The main difference between the two is that a group is intended for users to collaborate, share, and discuss videos with other members, while a channel is intended as a place to watch videos. We recommend exploring both features before deciding which is best for you. Explore channels and groups.
In this article:
- Create a group
- Add videos to your group
- Group albums
- Add your video to another group
- Remove your video from a group
- Group Members
- Join or Leave a Group
- Delete a Group
Create a group
To create a group, head to the groups page and click Create a Group, then follow the steps to customize it to your liking.
You can change the name of groups that you created or moderate. From your group page, click Settings then edit the Group Name to your liking. Click Save Changes to do just that.
Additionally, you can choose to make your group private. Just click Settings on your group page and head to the Membership tab. Under Group Privacy Settings you can choose to make your group visible to anyone or limit it to members of the group. If you opt to make your group private, anyone who's not a member of the group who navigates to it will see a message stating that this is a Private Group and they do not have permission to view it. This privacy setting will also hide the Group from your profile page.
Add videos to your group
When you find a video that would be a great fit for your group, you can add it to your group by clicking the Collections button that appears in the video player, then selecting your group.
Note: If you've applied privacy settings to your individual videos, the group privacy generally overrides the video's privacy setting, with the exception of videos marked Unlisted or Hide from Vimeo, which will not be visible in a group. Videos with all other privacy settings will show in the group.
Albums are great way to organize the videos within your group. You can create a group Album if you're a moderator for that group.
To create a group album, follow these steps:
- Go to the settings page for your group and navigate to the Video tab.
- Click the Manage your group Albums link.
- Click Create a New Album button under the green Browse Albums heading.
If you organize your group videos into Albums, you can choose the order in which you'd like them to appear. To do so, follow these steps:
- Go to your group's settings and click Manage your group Albums in the Videos tab.
- Click the gear icon to go to Settings.
- Choose from the dropdown menu how you'd like to arrange your videos.
- If you choose Manually, drag and drop up to 100 videos in any order you want and save your changes.
Add your video to another group
You can add each of your videos to a maximum of 10 groups. The 10 groups a video is added to can always be changed. Just uncheck some of the groups currently selected, and then add some new ones!
If you’re having trouble adding your video to a specific group, here are some tips:
- Make sure you're logged in to your account and verify that you are indeed a member of the group.
- Check the Privacy Settings of your video to make sure you have enabled it to be added to collections like Groups, Channels and Albums. Keep in mind you can add your video to a maximum amount of 10 groups!Note: If you are located in the United Kingdom or European Union and are not logged into a Vimeo account, you will be prompted to log in to watch an unrated video or a video rated “Mature” on vimeo.com.
- Finally, take into consideration the Privacy Settings for the group itself. Certain moderators choose not to allow other people to add videos to their group. Other groups require that a moderator approve videos before they actually show up on the group page.
Remove your video from a group
If your video was added to a group that you don’t want it to be in, you can remove it from that group. Head to your video’s page and click the Collections button that appears in the video player. From there, uncheck the groups you would like to remove that video from.
If a video that was previously removed is added back to a group, the video will return to its original spot in the group. For example, if your group is sorted by Most Recent, the video’s placement will be based on the time it was originally added, not the time you re-added it.
Invite people to your group
You can invite people to your group by clicking Invite on your group's homepage. Then add people by Vimeo screen name or email address.
Note: If you are a new Basic member, you have to wait 3 months before inviting other users to join your group.
Join or leave a group
If you are the moderator of a group and decide to leave the group, you will need to transfer ownership to another moderator or group member. If you don't, the group will be orphaned. To transfer ownership to another user, go to your Group Settings, then click the Ownership tab.
Delete a group
If you’re absolutely certain that you want to delete your group, go to the Settings tab and click Delete this group. Remember, once you delete a group, it's gone forever!