When you come across a share-worthy video on Vimeo or want to share one of your own videos, click the "Share" button (the paper airplane icon)on the video player. From there, you’ve got a few options:
- Grab the direct video link
- Post, pin, tumble or tweet the video to your favorite social media sites by clicking the corresponding icon
- Email the video to your friends and family by entering their email address or Vimeo username
- Copy the embed code and paste the player onto your website or blog. You can even customize the way it will look by clicking "+ Show options"
✦ Linking to a specific part of a video
To share a video link that will begin playback at a specific point, all you need to do is add a bit of code to the end of the URL. Just add #t= followed by the timecode of where you'd like playback to begin.
By adding #t=3m13s to the end of the URL, the link automatically triggers playback to begin three minutes and thirteen seconds into the video.
✦ Sharing your private videos
You can share your videos with any privacy settings other than "Only me," but please note:
- If your video has the privacy setting "Only people with the private link," viewers can freely watch your video either embedded on another website or with the private Vimeo.com link
- If your video has the privacy setting "Only people with the password," viewers can watch your video either embedded on another website or on the Vimeo.com video page after entering the video's password
- If your video has the privacy setting "Hide from Vimeo," viewers will be able to watch your video embedded on another website, but the Vimeo.com video page will only be visible to you (as the video owner)
- If your video has the privacy setting "Only people I follow," viewers will need to log in to their Vimeo account and be someone you follow to watch your video on Vimeo.com or embedded.
- If your video has the privacy setting "Only people I choose," viewers will need to log in to their Vimeo account and be someone you've chosen to watch your video on Vimeo.com or embedded.
You can use the "Share" window to send an email with a link to your private video. If share a password-protected video this way, the password in included in the email to your chosen recipients.
If you are a PRO or Business member, you can also use video review pages to securely share your videos.
✦ Hiding the "Share" button
You cannot hide the "Share" button from your public videos on vimeo.com. However, viewers of private videos (videos with a privacy setting other than "Anyone") do not see the "Share" button on the video page. Only video owners see the "Share" button on the video pages of their private videos.
Plus, PRO, and Business members can customize the embedded video player to hide the "Share" button.
✦ Troubleshooting social shares
If your videos aren't embedding with the correct thumbnail or title on sites like Facebook or Twitter, it's likely that these sites cached an earlier version of your video. To re-cache your video, run its URL through Facebook's link debugger or Twitter's card validator, wait for an hour, then give your post another try. Please note that using these debugger tools will not retroactively fix any videos posted previously.