Acceptable file formats
Vimeo supports just about any kind of video file, including these common formats: MP4, MOV, WMV, AVI, and FLV. In the rare circumstance that a format is not supported, an Invalid File error is displayed on the video page. All videos uploaded to Vimeo will be converted to square pixels. Regardless of format, all videos will be displayed at the correct aspect ratio.
Vimeo does not accept audio files, image files, or other non-video formats, such as: MP3, WAV, WMA, JPG, and PNG. Project files such as imovieproject and dvdproj files are also unsupported, since these are not video files.
To compress or not to compress
While it’s technically possible to upload an uncompressed video to Vimeo, in many cases, it isn’t a good idea. Uncompressed files consume more weekly quota and take longer to upload; more importantly, they may not result in significant visual improvement over properly compressed videos.
Choosing an upload method
There are several ways to upload to Vimeo:
- Using the upload page (https://vimeo.com/upload).
- Using a supported hosting service (Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, Box). This option is for those who store their videos in the cloud, or are looking for a bulk uploading option.
- Using a mobile app (iOS, Android, Windows Phone) or third-party software integrations (iOS, iMovie, Windows 10, and more). Learn more.
- Using a custom-built application. This option is for unique uploading needs, and coding skills are required. Learn more.
- If you're moving a large number of video over from another service, please contact us and we'll assist however we can.