An AMA (Ask Me Anything) is a great tool for generating interest or creating buzz if done correctly. AMAs don't make sense for everyone; however, if your video/channel/whatever you're launching has a famous face or subject, or if there's an expert on board whose niche is particularly interesting, an AMA could make sense for you.
Check out the tips below on doing a Reddit AMA about your work—and read Reddit's tips in their guide.
In this article
Pre-flight Checklist (ASAP)
- Set up a Reddit user account for the person who will be doing the AMA. A personal, human username like "MrIraGlass" is better than "InvisibleMadeVisible".
- Pick a date and time. 9 am PST is good. Morning is better than later. Try not to conflict with another big AMA - the schedule is [in the sidebar] - http://www.reddit.com/r/iama/
- Tweet that you'll be doing an AMA on said date -- you'll need this as proof to the mods.
- Using the Reddit account that will be doing the AMA, message the IAMA moderators your date and tweet link: http://www.reddit.com/message/compose?to=%2Fr%2FIAmA
Compose a catchy, personal post
- Provide proof. Take a photo of yourself with a sign saying "Hi Reddit" and tweet that, rather than just a text tweet. Bonus points if you draw a Reddit alien logo. The goal is to be very personal in all of this. It's a group interview!
- Catchy, short title. Don't mention that you are promoting something. Don't include a URL in the title, it won't work.
- A short description with links. It absolutely needs to have links to (a) the site where you're selling things and (b) your Twitter, Facebook, or another place to keep in touch.
- Get some of your friends on standby to help comb through responses and find good questions - there will probably be more than you can keep up with.
- A few hours before, remind Twitter/Facebook followers you'll be doing it later and can prep questions.
- Submit your post 15-30 minutes before your official start time and start book-facing, tweeting, IM'ing, and emailing your mailing list that it's live. Make sure you include the link! The redd. it short link in the top right of the page is ideal. Submit here: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/submit
- Triple-check that you included a direct link back to the site that is actually selling your amazing product.
- Answer lots of questions and have fun!