The easiest way to avoid sync issues is to compress your video following our compression guidelines. However, if you continue to encounter issues, here are some common causes and fixes for the loss of audio sync.
In this article learn about how to troubleshoot:
- Out-of-sync source files
- Variation between decoding technologies
- Video encoded with variable frame rate
- Video contains multiple edit list entries
- Conversion process issues
Out-of-sync source file
If the audio in your source file is out of sync, it will impact the uploaded video. Resolve any pre-existing audio sync issues in your editing software, then re-upload to Vimeo.
Variation between decoding technologies
There may be a slight variation between decoding technologies. Your video may look or sound different across different players and browsers (which is out of Vimeo’s control). To minimize playback variations, make sure your browser is up to date and close any additional programs running on your computer.
Video encoded with a variable frame rate
We recommend that you use a constant frame rate rather than a variable frame rate. Variable frame rates are commonly used in webinars or screencasts.
The video contains multiple edit list entries
This impacts videos edited with QuickTime technology. Use the Export feature instead of Save or Save As when you are saving your video in QuickTime.
Conversion process issues
In rare cases, our conversion process will sometimes lead to variation between your source file and our playback versions.
To determine if that's the case, try this test:
- Go to your video page.
- Download both your source file and the largest HD Vimeo version of your video using the Download button on your video page.
- Play both versions of the video in the same program on your computer (e.g., Quicktime, Windows Media Player, or VLC) and make note of whether there's a difference between the two. If there are no differences, you may be experiencing a decoding issue in your browser.
If you're not quite sure what's causing your sync issue, please contact us so we can investigate further. Be sure to provide a link to the video(s) in question and a description of the places in the video where the loss of audio sync is especially apparent.