Player speed controls are a way for all Vimeo users to give their viewers the ability to speed up or slow down the playback of video and audio on desktop and mobile browsers, regardless if they are watching on the Vimeo site or the embedded player.
In this article:
- How to enable or disable speed controls on embedded videos
- How to access speed controls on a video
- Cards and contact form
- Mobile Web and Apps
How to enable or disable speed controls on your videos
- To find the speed control setting, first, open your video from the Library.
- You can find the Create presets or Manage under the Player tab on the right side.
- Scroll down to the Playbar and toggle the Speed controls
How to access speed controls on a video
To open the speed control menu:
- Select the gear icon in the lower right corner of the player.
- Select Speed.
- Under the speed menu, you can choose different values for playback speed:
- 0.5x- 0.5 times slower than normal speed
- 0.75x- 0.75 times slower than normal speed
- Normal- Default Speed
- 1.25x- 1.25 times faster than normal speed
- 1.5x- 1.5 times faster than normal speed
- 2x- 2 times faster than normal speed
⚠️Note: Both video and audio will be adjusted for all speed preferences.
Speed can be adjusted at any time before and during playback. You can modify the playback speed by clicking the gear icon in the player or using the Vimeo Player API. Currently, keyboard shortcuts are not available.
Cards and contact form
If the speed of your video is modified, cards and the contact form will continue to play at their intended timestamp—displaying for the full duration of six seconds on desktop and until the next card is scheduled to appear on mobile.
Mobile Web and Apps
Currently, speed controls will appear in the Vimeo iOS app, but they will not appear in the Vimeo Android app.
The playback speed menu can be accessed in both iOS and Android mobile browsers.
You can adjust the playback speed at any time by tapping the gear icon in the player. However, if you are viewing in fullscreen mode on an iOS device, you'll need to exit the full-screen mode to adjust your speed during playback. Once your video is resumed in full-screen mode, the selected playback speed will be active.