This article discusses how to geoblock sales for purchase/rental products.
In this article
- What are geoblocks?
- Choosing whether to use "Allow" or "Block"
- How to enable geoblocking on products
- Notes to keep in mind
What are geoblocks?
Geoblocks are limits or restrictions you can impose on the purchasing of your products from certain countries. This means when you set up a geoblock, only those countries you allow can purchase, or only those you restrict cannot purchase.
Geoblocks are helpful for movies that have rights restrictions for certain areas. Geoblocking does not block watching in those territories; it only prevents the ability to purchase access to it.
Choosing whether to use "Allow" or "Block"
You can set up geoblocks on your products in 2 methods: allowing & blocking on any product edit page.
- Allowing products gives customers from the countries you select access to buy your content; it's blocked for all other areas. Use this if your distributing of your content is only allowed in a small number of regions for quicker setup.
- Blocking products restricts visitors from the countries you select from purchasing your content; it's allowed for all other areas. If you are generally allowed to distribute your content in most places, or there are a few places you'd rather not sell your content in, choose this option.
How do I enable geoblocking on products?
- Head to the product edit page you wish to allow.
- Click on the Distribution tab.
- Under the "Distribution regions" section, choose Specific Countries.
- Select Allow In or Blocked in on the geoblocking dropdown, depending on which option you prefer.
- Click the + Add link that appears on the right
- Choose which countries you want to apply the setting to from the window that appears, then click Add.
- Click Save on the product edit page to save your geoblock settings.
Notes to keep in mind
- If you are using your own payment gate for your product(s) instead of the Vimeo OTT checkout, geoblocking the product will not work. You would need to manage geoblocking your checkout form within your payment gate.
- It's important that if some content within a collection is blocked, the collection itself is also geoblocked. Otherwise, the collection will appear to be available to your subscribers, but they will not be able to access the content.
- If Buyer Support becomes aware of inconsistent blocking, we'll make sure to add the blocking to your collection to avoid further confusion for your customers. We will reach out to you if and when this action is taken.