If your video contains audio with spoken English, you can use the text-based editing feature with the trimmer tool to edit your video. Here, you can remove filler words such as ums and uhs, word gaps with no sound, and any other selection of individual words or longer sections of footage containing speech.
To use the text-based video editor:
⚠️Note: Only the videos that are uploaded to Vimeo, Recorded, or Live Events (under 2 hours) can be edited within the Text-Based Video Editor. Videos edited by the Create Editor (Vimeo Create videos) cannot be edited by the Text-Based Video Editor.
- Navigate to the video settings page for the video you'd like to edit.
- Select the Edit & Trim icon. It is a circular button with a pair of scissors to the left of your video preview.
- Select the Trim button under Trim your video (text-based editing).
- This will open your video in the text-based video editor. The transcript for your video will appear on the left side of the screen.
Features of the text-based video editor include:
- Search Transcript: Search your transcript for specific words in your voiceover.
Remove Filler Words and Word Gaps: You can use this tool to automatically identify and bulk-remove all filler words (ums and uhs) at once, or identify and bulk-remove the total number of word gaps based on a minimum length you set.
Delete: Select a word or longer selection of text from your transcript that you would like to delete. Select the Delete button to delete the clip containing that word from your video.
💡Tip: Right-selecting the word in the transcript will also bring up a menu with two options. You can either Delete the word from the video or you can delete every other word from the video except for the select word with the Keep only this option.
- Create a Video Clip: To quickly create a video clip, highlight the text you want in your clip, and select the Keep only this button to delete the rest of the video.
Show or Hide Deleted Words: You can show or hide all words that were deleted from the transcript by toggling the Show/Hide deleted words button.
Using the timeline
You can also use the timeline of the video to trim and split video clips.
To use the text-based video editor timeline, you can:
- Select and drag the handles at the beginning and end of the clip to adjust the start and end times. The transcript will adjust accordingly.
- Select and drag the needle to a point in the timeline where you would like to split your video into multiple parts. Select the Split button where you would like to split.
- You can select the clip and either drag the start and end handles to adjust the duration of the clip (similar to adjusting the timing in the video) or select the Delete button to delete the clip from the video, The transcript will adjust accordingly.
What if the transcription shows incorrect words?
If the transcription shows incorrect words, you can edit the transcript for video viewers. Learn how to edit the transcription at How to edit a video’s transcript.
What if my video is longer than 2 hours?
At this time, it is not possible to trim videos that are longer than 2 hours (120 minutes) using the text-based editor.
When trimming a video over 2 hours select the Edit and Trim button. An alert will display stating that the video can currently be trimmed using the previous trimmer tool. Select the link to the previous trimmer tool.
Does editing my video impact my video's analytics?
No, analytics are recorded based on the video ID rather than the video's version. Analytics do not reset if you edit your video.