While at times you may see Uploading, Conversion, and Transcoding used interchangeably, these are distinct processes that need to take place before your video is available on Vimeo.
- Uploading refers to the process of transferring a video file from a local device to an online platform or server.
- Conversion refers to changing the format from one standard format to another, such as converting an MP4 file to an AVI file.
- Transcoding refers to converting the original video file into a different format or resolution to optimize it for playback on various devices or platforms. Transcoding is often used to reduce the size of a video file or to enable playback on devices that may not support certain codecs.
In this article:
- What is transcoding?
- What is the difference between transcoding and encoding?
- What factors affect the transcoding process?
- Can video quality be improved during transcoding?
- How long does video transcoding take?
- Why is my video stuck at “Optimization Pending”?
What is transcoding?
Transcoding is a process of decoding, reformatting, and re-encoding files. During the transcoding process, your video file is re-encoded into several formats that will be available to view on Vimeo. Transcoding can also involve adjusting the video's bitrate, frame rate, and other technical parameters to ensure it plays smoothly and without buffering issues on different devices. While uploading is a one-time process, transcoding may occur multiple times to ensure the video is compatible with various devices and platforms.
What is the difference between transcoding and encoding?
Transcoding is the process of converting from one video format to another, while encoding is the process of converting analog data into digital formats.
What factors affect the transcoding process?
The speed and efficiency of transcoding depend on your ISP’s bandwidth and the size and quality of the video. Some of the common causes of slow transcoding include large file sizes, high video resolutions, and intensive encoding settings.
Can video quality be improved during transcoding?
Video quality can sometimes be improved during transcoding, depending on the settings used and the original quality of the video.
How long does video transcoding take?
The length of time it takes for video transcoding to complete depends on the size and quality of the video, as well as the speed of the computer being used.
Why is my video stuck at “Optimization Pending”?
Once you have uploaded your video you may see the status Optimization Pending for longer than anticipated. The time it takes to finish transcoding will depend on the size and encoding of your source video.
If you notice this process taking longer than usual you may want to validate that your video matches our compression guidelines and re-upload if required. If this doesn’t help, please contact us for assistance.