The Subscribers report provides metrics that allow you to measure your subscription (SVOD) site’s growth and revenue over time.
In this article:
- Subscribers report overview
- Set the duration and interval for the subscribers report
- Metrics provided in the Subscribers report
- Filtering and segmenting the Subscribers report
Subscribers report overview
Similar to the Viewership report, the Subscribers report is also represented in a graph plot, showing results for the duration you are searching for. To access the report from OTT Admin, click on the Analytics menu and select Subscribers. Refer to Types of data & analytics provided by Vimeo OTT to know more.
For example, a default Subscribers report below depicts the last 30 days of data on a per-day basis. The graph gives the total count of users based on Subscription and trials for that day.
A table with this information will be available below. You can also download a CSV by clicking the download icon (downward arrow) in the upper right corner.
⚠️Note: Your payout statement includes all of the transactions that were made during the month in question. The count of subscribers in the Subscribers Report includes customers who were gifted subscriptions, added via the Add Customer tool or via the API (including users added via a branded app), who may not have processed a transaction. This could mean that the Subscribers Report may show a larger number of subscribers than the total transactions in your Payout Statement.
Set the duration and interval for the subscribers report
The report supports the following time durations:
- Last 7 days
- Last 30 days
- Last 365
- Custom date range
⚠️Note: When using the Custom range option, the selection has to be within a 365-day range.
Next to the duration dropdown, you can choose to plot the data on a monthly, weekly, daily, or hourly time interval. Please note that:
- Hourly is only available when “Last 7 days” is selected as the duration. The date and time interval data are shown in UTC.
- The weekly time interval begins from Monday 00:00:00 UTC, ends Sunday 23:59:59 UTC per week.
Historical data on the Subscribers report is accessible from January 1, 2018, onwards for the daily, weekly, and monthly time intervals. The hourly time interval data is available starting from January 1, 2020.
Data is current to the previous day (i.e. through 23:59:59 UTC off the previous day).
Metrics provided in the Subscribers report
The Subscribers report measures the following:
Total number of active subscriptions and/or trials. Active is defined as enabled users with access to your content. This consists of user purchased subscriptions, gifted subscriptions, and API created subscriptions.
Total number of new activated subscriptions and/or trials.
Total number of subscriptions and/or trials that have been disabled and no longer have access to content.
Churn Rate is the percentage of subscriptions that were disabled and lost access to your content. Metric is available only for the Subscriptions filter. It’s not applicable for Trials.
The Average revenue is the average subscription revenue per subscriber on any platform. Metric is available only for the Subscriptions filter. It’s not applicable for Trials.
The Lifetime value is the average amount of subscription revenue a single subscriber can be expected to generate over their lifespan as a customer. Metric is available only for the Subscriptions filter. It’s not applicable for Trials.
Trial Conversion Rate
The Trial conversion rate is the percentage of customers who converted to a subscription after their trial period ended. Metric is available only for Trials filters. It’s not applicable for Subscriptions.
Filtering and segmenting the Subscribers report
The Subscriber report by default displays the total count of Subscriptions & Trials for the chosen metric. You can filter this to show Subscriptions only or Trials only.
For example: Set the metric to Gained. By default, you will see the combined value of subscription and trials gained over the chosen duration, but you can apply the filter to show only gained Subscriptions, or only gained Trials.
Additionally, you can adjust the report to break out the data into these two segments:
- Platform: See which platforms your subscribers and trials are using to sign up for your site. This is most useful if you have branded apps for your site.
Country: See which countries your OTT site’s subscriber base is from.
⚠️Note: Some subscribers may have restrictions in place that do not allow us to collect location data. In these cases, their country will be listed as 'Others’. Since users cannot be forced to share their location data, you will always see some users whose country is marked as ‘Others’.
- Billing Frequency: You can analyze your subscriber report metrics from the Segment dropdown by choosing Billing Frequency. You can apply Billing Frequency to the metrics of Total, Gained, Lost, Churn rate, and Trial conversion rate. It is not available for Average revenue and Lifetime value. When you apply the Billing Frequency segment, the data in the report will get segmented by three Billing Frequency values: Monthly, Yearly, and Custom.
⚠️Note: Billing Frequency data is only available from Sep 1st, 2022.
For example, if you want to generate a report for Total trials active within the desired duration, you can set the metric to Total, set the filter to Trials, and the report gets generated. You can further identify where those trials are mostly coming from by using the Segment dropdown, such as which Platform most customers are using to sign up (shown below).
Note: The graph and data table can display up to 10 segments at a time.
- For metrics that have a "Total" column in the data table, we will by default display the 10 segments with the highest Total value in descending order.
- For metrics without a total column (e.g. Churn rate, Trial conversion rate), we will by default show the highest value based on the most recent date.
You can customise which segment items appear in the graph and data table. For example, if you segment your report by Country, you can choose to view subscription and trial data from specific countries. To do so:
Scroll down to the data table and click the Search icon in the segment column.
- Search or scroll for the desired segment item (e.g. country) and click the corresponding checkbox. Note that if you already have 10 items selected, you will need to deselect one in order to select a new one.
- Click Add, and the data table and graph will update with the newly selected segment items.
💡Tip: You can also remove segment items from the data table by hovering your cursor over them and clicking the corresponding Remove button to the right.