This feature requires a Business, Premium, Advanced, or Enterprise membership.
As a Vimeo user, you can use Google Analytics to track events on all Vimeo players embedded on your site, except for Vimeo Live. Google Analytics is not available to Vimeo live players.
You can find more detailed information at the Google Analytics help center.
In this article:
- How to add the Vimeo tracking script to your site
- Which events on my Vimeo videos does Google Analytics 4 track?
How to add the Vimeo tracking script to your site
- Go to the Marketing tab in your Vimeo Account Settings.
- Scroll down below the email service providers to find the Google Analytics heading, where there are two tracking codes: Google Analytics 4 and Legacy, which is the now-deprecated Universal Analytics tracking code.
- Highlight and copy the code you need to your clipboard.
⚠️Note: While the legacy Google UA tracking code is still available for use, be mindful that it is a deprecated Google product that is no longer supported.
- Paste the code into your website’s HTML editor. It must be inserted somewhere in your site after the embedded video player. This ensures that the analytics script can successfully locate your embedded video.
- Save your website’s changes.
- Events on the embedded Vimeo player on your site will now be tracked in Google Analytics.
⚠️Note: We can’t provide support for specific questions about your third-party tracking service. We strongly recommend visiting the Google Analytics help center for further assistance with this integration.
Which events on my Vimeo videos does Google Analytics 4 track?
When you insert the Google Analytics 4 (GA4) script into your site and you’ve embedded videos from your Vimeo account on that site, you can track certain events for those videos. These events include:
|This event occurs when the video is able to begin playback (but the play button has not yet been clicked).
|This event occurs when playback begins
|During playback, when the end of the video is reached.
|video_timeupdate (25%, 50%, 75%, 100%)
|These events are logged when a viewer has played past the specific point in time of the video’s duration (1st quartile, midpoint, 3rd quartile, completed)
Each event that is tracked will be labeled with the following video metadata:
|The provider that hosts the video (i.e. “Vimeo”).
|The clip URL of the embedded video (i.e. this is the URL if you were to visit or share the video’s page on Vimeo.com.)
|The title of the embedded video.
|Vimeo’s automatically generated unique ID for your video; this is also found in your video’s clip URL and embed code.
|The time within the video when the event was recorded.
|The total length of the video (in seconds).
|The amount of the video that was viewed.