This article discusses creating and managing categories for your videos.
In this article:
- What are categories?
- Create a category
- General settings
- Distribution settings
- Discovery settings
- Content organization best practices
What are categories?
Categories are groups of videos, events, collections, and buy/rent products. Categories allow you to organize all of your content, similar to parent folders in a filing system. For example, you could make a category for every genre of your content that's available.
Create a category
To create a category:
- Navigate to Content > Categories.
- Click the + Add button next to the Categories section of the Content page or + New Category at the top of the page.
- A window will then prompt you for the category title. Create a title, then click Add.
After creating your category, you'll be brought to the category's settings page, starting with the General settings. Here, you can modify the category title, as well as add a Short description, a Full description, and a Thumbnail.
The Distribution tab allows you to control how your category is distributed and discovered across your platform. Settings you can configure here are:
- You’ll be able to set its visibility to Published or Private.
- You can also geo-block your category to make it available or unavailable in certain regions. The default option is Worldwide, but if you select Choose countries, you’ll need to specify which countries, and whether you’d like to limit your collection to only those countries, or if you’d like to prevent people in those countries from watching.
- You can replace the category ID in your category's URL with a custom URL specified here.
- You can add Subtitles and captions, enable comments, add a screener, and download the video in multiple resolutions.
The Discovery tab is for adding information about your category to make it more discoverable for search results. You can:
- Designate the category to be your Featured category, pinning it to the top of the Browse page of your site and apps. This will add it to your featured carousel.
- Add Tags to your category
- Add Genres to your category
- Add Cast, Crew, Release date, Rating, and Advisory to your category
- Add a License to your category
- Add a Media ID to your category
- Add Advanced metadata (only applicable if you are using our API for data)
- Add Image metadata for images you upload
- Add Custom metadata.
Click Save once you’ve made all your changes.
Content organization best practices
Watch the video below to learn some tips for organizing your content.