This feature requires a Pro, Business, Premium, Starter, Standard, Advanced, or Enterprise membership.
You can add chapters that will appear during the playback of your embedded videos and in showcases, as well as on Vimeo.com. Chapters are ideal for long-form content like lessons, training sessions, sermons, recitals, sports games, and narrative storytelling. Adding chapters helps your viewer create a self-guided viewing experience, and allows them to easily navigate to relevant segments to find content faster.
You’ll also be able to see which chapters get the highest engagement and track engagement rates by chapter.
In this article:
- How to add chapters to your video
- Editing chapters
- Removing chapters
- Viewing chapters on desktop vs. mobile
- Analytics for chapters
⚠️Note: You can hover over chapter segments to see timestamps and chapter titles.
How to add chapters to your video
- Select the video from your Library to open the video settings page.
- Select the Interactive tab to the left of the video player. Then, choose Chapters.
- Under the Chapters section, select + Add a chapter.
- You can edit a chapter by selecting the options menu (…) to the right.
- After selecting the options menu (…) you may enter a new title or edit the timestamp for the chapter.
- Select Add chapter to keep going. You can add up to one chapter per second to your video.
- Once you’re done editing your chapters, hit the Save button.
- One Vimeo video has a limit of 100 chapters
- Chapter titles are limited to 50 characters
To edit an existing chapter, you can select the options menu (…) next to the chapter name.
To remove a chapter, hover select the options menu (…) next to the chapter name and then select the trash icon in the bottom left corner of the modal that appears. The chapter will be deleted as soon as you press the trash icon button.
Viewing chapters on desktop vs. mobile
Chapters are only supported on a Desktop viewing experience. On mobile devices, the chapter markers aren’t visible, only the chapters menu is.
Analytics for chapters
Chapters will appear within your analytics section and viewer retention stats so that you can see which chapters your users are engaging with the most.
You can read more about analytics at Advanced Analytics.