Understanding the editor
There are multiple main elements that make up the editor, each with their own tools and capabilities:
The header allows you to view and change various details of your video.
- Title: View the current title of your video. You can change the title of your video while saving or later in the library.
Aspect Ratio: Change your video to one of these three aspect ratios: Landscape (16:9), Portrait (9:16), and Square (1:1).
- 💡Tip: Select the current aspect ratio to change the aspect ratio of the video. Hovering over each option provides tips on when to use each format.
- Undo and Redo: Represented by arrows. Undo will reverse the last action you’ve performed in the editor. Redo will restore an undone action.
Save: Save your video.
- Enterprise accounts can use the dropdown menu to choose whether to save as a video or save as a Team Template.
Your video is made up of a collection of one or more pieces of media. The stage is in the center of the editor. Here, you can preview your project, resize or rearrange your media, or rearrange elements like text or graphics. Learn more about adding and managing media at 'How do I add and manage media in the editor?'
💡Tip: If you have multiple elements on the stage that you'd like to select at once, you can do so by clicking off-stage and dragging to select the elements.
There are multiple tools in the sidebar to help you add and modify elements of your video. Hover over each button in the sidebar to see which tool each icon represents.
The tools in the sidebar include:
- Media: Opens the media menu where you can upload videos and photos, select videos from your Vimeo library, view previous uploads, record a clip through Vimeo Record.
- Free, Starter, Standard, Advanced, Pro, Business, Premium, and Enterprise subscribers can add footage from our extensive collection of stock footage.
- Presets: Add a customizable pre-designed element to your video. Learn more at What are Presets in the editor?
- Text: Add a text. Learn more at 'How do I add and edit text in the editor?'
- Graphics: Opens a stock gallery of graphics to add to your video. Learn more at 'How do I upload and manage graphics in the editor?'
- Music: Choose or change the music of your video by selecting a track from Vimeo's music library. You can also upload a music track if you own the music or have obtained all necessary licenses to incorporate it into a video as required by our Terms of Service. Learn more about uploading your own music at ‘How do I add or upload my own music to the editor?'
- Colors: Change the color palette of your video.
- Brand: Account Owners, admins, and contributors (contributor plus for Enterprise) with access to the Brand Kit can upload design elements to meet their organization's brand guidelines. Learn more at 'How do I access and customize the Brand Kit?'.
💡Tip: Standard, Advanced, Business, Premium, and Enterprise accounts have access to upload custom fonts.
The Inspector Toolbar
The inspector toolbar floats above the stage in the editor and contains tools to help edit parts of your video. The types of tools will change in the inspector toolbar to specifically edit each element such as media or text. Learn more at 'How do I use the inspector toolbar in the editor?'
The Timeline is where the media, text, graphics, and audio tracks of your videos are shown in the order they’ll play in the video. This is where you can add, delete, duplicate, and manage your media. Learn more at 'How do I add and manage media in the editor?'
You can also change the duration and timing of media, text, graphics, and audio. Learn more at 'How do I use the Timeline in the editor?'
💡Tip: Learn how to edit videos originally made in the editor at 'How do I edit videos made in the editor?'. Learn how to edit videos not originally made with the editor at 'How do I edit videos not made in the editor?'