You can increase viewer engagement during your virtual events by opening polls directly in your event. This is available alongside the live chat feature. If you embed the engagement tools on your website, polls will be included.
In this article, learn about:
Our Live Polls feature allows you to insert questions into your live stream for viewers to respond to via Vimeo Live Chat. Polls can be used to gather feedback from viewers (answers ranked by percentage) or as a quiz (one option being the correct response). You can have as many polls as you’d like per stream, but only one poll may be open at a time.
⚠️Note: If you want to add polls in your venues, see How to open a poll in a virtual Venue.
Creating a poll for a live broadcast
💡Tip: You can also manage polls by navigating to the engagement tools link for your event.
Once you have set up your live broadcast, open the Manage production dropdown and choose how are you producing your event (with your browser or via an external encoder). In either case, you can find the Polls icon on the left side of the page.
- Click Create poll.
Type in the question and at least two options for viewers to choose from.
- Click Add option if you need more than two answer choices. You can add up to four options per poll.
- (Optional) To mark one option as the correct choice (e.g. for a quiz), click the star icon associated with that option.
- When you’re finished, click Save (if streaming via the browser) or Create (if streaming via an encoder).
Character limit on a poll
The character limit for a live poll question and each of the answers is a maximum of 120 characters or 3 lines.
Adding a poll graphic to a scene
⚠️Note: This section is only relevant if you are streaming to a recurring event or a webinar via our web-based production tool page.
If you create a poll and you selected Stream with Vimeo when setting up your event, you will need to add it to a scene on the web-based production tool page in order to show the poll graphics overlay.
- Below the preview player, select the scene you want the poll graphic to appear.
- Select Open poll in the left navigation menu.
Click Show on scene.
When Show on scene is selected, the poll will appear on the selected scene as shown below:
- Tip: You can add your poll graphic to multiple scenes, but you will need to make sure the Show on scene is selected for each scene if you want the graphic to remain in the player when you switch between them.
- Scenes can only contain one poll each.
To remove a poll graphic from a scene:
- Select the scene below the player that has the poll.
- Open the Poll panel on the left.
- Open the poll that needs to be hidden.
Click Hide from scene.
Opening a Poll
Once you've created your poll, select the poll in the Polls panel and click Open poll to display the poll and allow your viewers to see it and choose a response.
The opened poll will be pinned to the beginning of the live chat so it will be visible to all viewers. You can keep your poll open for as long as you’d like.
Closing a Poll
Once your viewers have had enough time to submit their responses, clicking Publish results will close the poll so no more responses can be accepted. Results will be displayed in the chat window.
Once your poll has concluded and you no longer need the results, you can remove it by clicking Archive.
Keep in mind that the results will not be stored anywhere on your Vimeo account after your event so be sure to take note of them before removing them.
⚠️Note: If you’re on an Enterprise account and hosted a Webinar, you can access how each of your attendees answered any polls you conducted during your event. Learn more at 'Track your webinar's attendee engagement and analytics'.