This feature requires an Advanced or Premium plan, or an Enterprise account with the Events feature added.
Simulated live events allow you to pre-produce your entire virtual event without the stress of being live. Your content will play at a scheduled time without you needing to be there to start the event. This also removes the hassle of scheduling events with multiple guest speakers and allows you to host multiple events at once.
Note: The number of concurrent events varies with the subscription plan. To learn more visit Simulcast concurrent events to different destinations.
In this article:
- How simulated live events work
- Create a simulated live event or webinar
- Switch a simulated live event back to manual control
How simulated live events work
When creating a virtual event or webinar on Vimeo, you can compile your pre-recorded videos into a set of scenes and set the event to start playing your content in the live player automatically at a scheduled time. You also have the option to add live scenes after your simulated live scenes have ended, such as for a live Q&A session at the end of your event.
Note: You’ll need to add these interactivity tools to a scene and then manually enable them before or during the Simulated live (or Live) scenes in order for them to appear.
The chat and Q&A can be enabled before the event goes live without a host being there during simulative, but polls need to be manually activated even during simulative as the timing of this will be important for those who want to launch polls.
Create a simulated live event or webinar
To create a simulated live broadcast:
- Create a live broadcast, select one of your live broadcast events from the events library, or select uploaded videos from Library.
- Go to Settings > Production and make sure Stream through your browser is selected under Broadcast method.
- Select the Start date and Time to schedule the live event to go live automatically at the set time.
⚠️Note: If you select the start time of the scheduled live event that is under 1 minute, the scheduled live event/webinar will not work. The time zone on the Event settings is displayed according to the event creator's browser’s timezone information. Viewers who see the live event before the start of the broadcast will see the start time automatically converted into their local timezone based on their browser's timezone information.
Scroll down to turn on the Simulated live toggle. A modal will appear prompting you to select videos for your event.
⚠️Note: If you click Cancel, the Simulated live segment will have an empty scene. You will have to add a video manually.
- Select the video(s) you want to stream, then click the Add button. This will add the selected video to the event as a new scene in the Simulated live segment.
- If you want to include a live portion at the end of the simulated live event, add scenes and the desired source content to the Live segment below the player.
- You will see a timer, as per the set schedule, counting down to when the event will go live.
- Prior to the start time, or during your event, you can add other features to your simulated live scenes, such as polls, and Q&A. Just as with manual events, you will need to manually show and hide these features’ overlays during your simulated live event.
Once live, the videos in the Simulated live segment will play and auto-transition to the following scenes, located to the right.
- If you added scenes to the Live segment, your stream will auto-transition to the first Live scene and switch your event into manual mode. You will then need to take control of your event and click End event to stop streaming.
- If you did not add scenes to the Live segment, the event will end automatically when the video in the final scene in the Simulated live segment reaches the end.
Switch a simulated live event back to manual control
If you planned on simulating your live event or webinar, but you end up needing to do your entire production live instead, you can always switch an event or webinar back to manual mode.
- Click on your event in the events library.
- In the upper right corner of the web-based production tool, click on the scheduled date to open the dropdown menu.
- Select Manual.
- The Simulated Live and Live scenes will remain in the same order but now display in a single unified section, which you will need to switch manually.
- Your event will not start until you click the Start stream button.
- Simulated live events as described in this article are only supported when streaming via the web-based production tool, not external encoders.
- All audience engagement features such as chat, polls, and Q&A can be added at any time during the scheduled live event.
- The scheduled live event feature is currently available only for live events and webinars. This feature is not available for Venues.
- All video scenes in the Simulated live segment will auto-transition; this cannot be changed.