This feature requires a Starter, Standard, Advanced, Pro, Business, Premium, or Enterprise account.
You can invite team members to your Vimeo account and specify their roles on your team. This article discusses what the different role types are and what level of permission each role has.
There are six team member types: viewers, contributors, contributors plus, uploaders, admins, and owners. Each one will need to make their own Vimeo account in order to be able to join a team.
When you add team members to your Vimeo account, you can specify the exact role you would like them to have. Each of these roles has a default set of capabilities—the Owner has the highest level of access, while the Viewer has the lowest.
Folder & Video Access
By default, Owners and Admins can see all content within the team (except for content in other users' Private to Me folders). Contributors and Viewers need to be explicitly granted access to folders and videos in order to view and comment.
- Team Contributors are able to view analytics for only content that they have Admin or Contributor access to on the account.
- For Folders, Contributors must have Contributor or Folder Admin access in order to view analytics.
- For videos, Contributors must have Contributor or Admin access in order to view analytics.
Users added to a folder can see all content within that folder and its subfolders. However, the users cannot be added to a folder and removed from a subfolder.
Viewers can be added to a folder having a view and comment-only access (added to the folder as a viewer).
- If you add a Viewer to a folder that has subfolders, the team member will also have access to the contents of the subfolders.
Contributors can have access granted more granularly to folders and videos. They can be added as:
- Viewer: Access is restricted and they can only see and comment on that folder/video.
- Contributor: Can edit, comment, and add videos to the folder.
- Folder Admin: Users can change folder settings, add/remove users, and add videos and subfolders.
Folder Admins (Enterprise Only)
A folder admin is a Contributor with special permissions within a specific folder. They can view, comment, edit, review, share, upload videos, add and remove people from the folder, and delete videos from folders. Only an Owner, Admin, or other Folder Admin can grant a Contributor this special permission.
Private to Me (Enterprise Only)
⚠️Note: This is currently available to Contributors and Admins on Enterprise accounts with this feature enabled.
This is a special folder for users to store their content and serves as the default location for Zoom recordings, Vimeo Record videos, and uploads. Videos in Private to Me are not visible to Admins nor the Owner and do not appear in search results for other team members.
You can invite viewers individually or as a part of a group to specific videos, folders, and showcases in your account. Only the folders and showcases to which they have been invited will be visible to them in the Library. Viewers can watch and comment on videos to which they have access, but they cannot make any changes to those videos.
Notes for Enterprise accounts:
- Viewers on Enterprise teams do not have access to manage videos; they will only see them via the team’s branded home page.
- If you have a large number of users that you'd like to grant viewer status, you can provide us with a CSV of their email addresses that we can add on your behalf. To do this, reach out to your account manager.
- You can also grant viewer access by specifying a domain for SSO. Viewers that you intend to access via SSO will not receive an email. Learn more about setting up SSO here.
⚠️Note: This team role is only available on the legacy Pro, Business, and Premium plans.
You can invite uploaders to your team who will only have the ability to upload videos to your account. They can do this from their uploader page after toggling from their personal account to the team account. They cannot do anything else on the account.
Any videos an uploader adds to your account will have the privacy setting Private, but as the account owner, you can change the video's privacy setting after upload.
You can invite contributors individually or as a part of a group to specific folders via the share modal in the Library. Anyone on a team account with the Contributor role will see the Share button for any video or folder to which they have Can edit access. When they click the Share button, they'll be able to share the resource (videos and folders) with any existing team member.
Contributors cannot invite new team members to the team.
Contributors will be able to do the following with the contents of the folders they are invited to:
- Upload, edit, review, share and publish videos within a folder.
- Can download videos from the folders they have access to.
- View the settings of a video in that folder as well as the analytics tab, which has numbers from the past 30 days.
- View, create, and edit all Vimeo Create videos on the team account.
- Access design elements added to the Brand Kit by team Owners and Admins.
Contributor Plus is only an option on Enterprise accounts. They have access to all that Contributors will be able to do to the contents of the folders they are invited to. Additionally, Contributor Plus can:
- Manage advanced creation tools (brand kit, custom fonts, custom intros/outros, team templates).
- Go live and manage live events on Vimeo (for Enterprise plans with the Events featured added). Note that when a Contributor Plus member creates a new live event, it will be in their Private folder. The event must be moved to a shared team folder in order to go live.
- Access to the advanced event and webinar capabilities: registration setup, advanced marketing integrations, and viewer-level analytics (for Enterprise plans with the Events featured added).
Admins have the highest level of permissions and can help you manage all the videos, folders, and collections in your account. Admins can invite contributors and viewers to your team. Admins can upload and manage design elements in the Brand Kit in Create. Admins cannot manage billing settings or connect social accounts to the team account; only the owner can do these. Admins who are part of an Enterprise team cannot access the Interactivity feature.
Owners (i.e. the main email associated with the account, which was used to sign up and purchase) can do the following:
- Access Simulcast settings.
- Upload and manage design elements in the Brand Kit.
- Authenticate most API-integrated encoders and applications
- This refers to encoders that allow you to connect to Vimeo by logging in to your account directly from the software or application (e.g. Mevo, Vimeo mobile app, or other third-party direct integrations).
- Exception: Livestream Studio does allow team admins to log in and go live.
Full role comparison
The table below shows a detailed comparison of what each team member type can do.
|Capability||Viewer||Contributor||Contributor Plus||Folder admin||Admin||Owner|
|Upload and download videos||❌||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|Edit videos and make recordings||❌||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|Manage Brand kit (Standard, Advanced, Business, Premium)||❌||✅||❌||✅||✅||✅|
|Manage Brand kit (Enterprise only)||❌||❌||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|Apply Brand kit design elements||❌||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|Upload/delete custom fonts (Standard, Advanced, Business, Premium)||❌||✅||❌||✅||✅||✅|
|Upload/delete custom fonts (Enterprise only)||❌||❌||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|Apply custom fonts||❌||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅|
Create interactive videos
|Create top level folders||❌||❌||❌||❌||✅||✅|
|Delete your videos||❌||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|Delete others’ videos||❌||❌||❌||✅||✅||✅|
|Schedule, manage, and start live events||❌||❌||✅||❌||✅||✅|
|Access registration and advanced integrations||❌||❌||✅||❌||✅||✅|
|Delete live events||❌||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|Access shared videos and folders||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|Add, tags and descriptions to videos||❌||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|Leave comments on shared videos||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|View, edit, and comment on any video||❌||❌||❌||❌||✅||✅|
|Add and delete videos to channels and portfolios||❌||✅||✅||❌||✅||✅|
| Set privacy settings for videos
|Publish videos to social accounts||❌||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|Add/remove access to videos and subfolders||❌||❌||❌||✅||✅||✅|
Share any videos with team members
|View basic video, region, device, and date||❌||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|View engagement and social analytics||❌||❌||❌||❌||✅||✅|
|View event analytics and registrant user analytics||❌||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅|
|View post-event advanced analytics||❌||❌||❌||❌||✅||✅|
|Analytics API for user-level analytics||❌||❌||❌||❌||✅||✅|
|View bandwidth analytics||❌||❌||❌||❌||❌||✅|
|Add new team members||❌||❌||❌||❌||✅||✅|
|Add new & existing members to folders||❌||❌||❌||✅||✅||✅|
|Set data retention policies on folders||❌||❌||❌||❌||✅||✅|
|Set library home page featured video||❌||❌||❌||❌||✅||✅|
|Set logo and brand settings||❌||❌||❌||❌||✅||✅|
|Set upload defaults and embed presets||❌||❌||❌||❌||❌||✅|
|Access billing page||❌||❌||❌||❌||❌||✅|
|Change plan and payment method||❌||❌||❌||❌||❌||✅|