This article covers how to share a video on Vimeo as well as how to share your own videos. If would like to share an individual video with your team, see How to share videos with your team.
In this article:
- How to share a video
- Additional information on sharing private videos
- Can I hide the "Share" button and icon from my video?
How to share a video
- To share a video, first select it from your Library to open the video settings page.
- Select the Share button in the top right corner of the page.
- A new modal will appear with options for sharing, embedding, and changing the privacy settings for your video.
Select the Copy link button in the lower right corner of the modal to copy the link to share your video.
💡Tip: Hold Ctrl and V keys on a PC or Command and V keys on a Mac to paste a link.
Additional information on sharing private videos
You can share your videos with any privacy settings, but please note the following will apply based on the privacy setting:
- Unlisted: viewers can watch your video either embedded on another website or with the unlisted Vimeo.com link.
- Password: viewers can watch your video either embedded on another website or on the Vimeo.com video page after entering the video's password. Note that if you are a Basic user, you will need to upgrade to a paid membership in order to password-protect your videos.
- Hide from Vimeo: viewers will be able to watch your video embedded on another website, but the Vimeo.com video page will only be visible to you (as the video owner)
- Private: only you (the owner) and your team members will be able to watch your video embedded on another website, as well as the internal video edit page. All others will be prompted to log in and will only have access if you’ve added them to your team.
- Password (shared via social or embedded): you will need to provide the password to your recipients directly.
Password (shared via the Share button on the Vimeo.com clip page): the password is included in the email to your chosen recipients.
💡Tip: If you are a Starter or Pro member or higher, you can also use video review pages to securely share your videos.
Can I hide the "Share" button and icon from my video?
- You cannot hide the "Share" button shown below the player from your Public videos on Vimeo.com. However, viewers of videos with a privacy setting other than Public do not see the "Share" button when viewing the video. Only video owners see the "Share" button on the video pages of those videos.
- Password-protected videos will not display any share options on the clip page regardless of your player settings.
- Plus members and higher can customize the video player to show or hide the "Share icon" on embedded videos and on videos set to Unlisted.
- Videos set to Private will not display share options and can only be seen by you and your team members.
Troubleshooting social shares
If your videos aren't embedded with the correct thumbnail or title on sites like Facebook or Twitter, these sites likely cached an earlier version of your video. To re-cache your video, run its URL through Facebook's link debugger or Twitter's card validator, wait for an hour, and then give your post another try. Please note that using these debugger tools will not retroactively fix any videos posted previously.