This feature requires a Vimeo Enterprise account. You may be looking to simulcast Vimeo events to a product on your Vimeo OTT site. See Broadcasting live events from Vimeo to Vimeo OTT to learn more.
You can utilize Vimeo's mobile app and simulcast feature to live stream to your Vimeo OTT site from your mobile device.
In this article:
Requirements to stream to Vimeo OTT from mobile
In order to broadcast a live stream from a mobile device to a Vimeo OTT site, you will need the following:
- Access to your accounts on both Vimeo (vimeo.com) and Vimeo OTT (ott.vimeo.com) via a desktop browser
- The Vimeo mobile app
- Requires iOS 13 or higher or Android 6 or higher
- An internet connection on your mobile device (e.g. Wi-Fi, 4G/LTE)
⚠️Note: This requires an Enterprise contract with Vimeo. If you do not have access to an account on vimeo.com with the ability to go live, contact your account manager for next steps.
How to stream to Vimeo OTT from mobile
For clarity, "Vimeo Core" refers to your account on vimeo.com, whereas "Vimeo OTT" refers to your account hosted on vhx.tv.
1. First, create an event on your Vimeo OTT site. Log into your OTT dashboard and navigate to Content > Create live event.
2. From the live event setup page, click Create URL and stream key.
3. Open a new browser window, navigate to vimeo.com and log into your Vimeo Core account.
4. Create a new event by going to New video > Create live event.
5. Fill in the event information and click Next.
Tip: If you want the event to appear only on your OTT site, consider setting its Privacy to "Hidden from Vimeo" or "Only people with an unlisted link."
6. In the Destinations tab, find "RTMP" and click the corresponding Add button.
7. You will be prompted to enter a title (e.g. "My OTT site"), an RTMP URL and Stream Key.
8. Copy and paste the URL and Stream key from your OTT event into the corresponding fields in the Vimeo Core RTMP simulcast modal.
9. Launch the Vimeo mobile app on your device.
10. Log into your Vimeo Core account, then click the blue + button on the bottom of the screen (it may be an "Upload" button on some Android devices).
11. Tap the Live tab on the left side. If this is your first time navigating to this section of the app, you will be prompted to allow access to your camera and microphone.
12. Be sure to select the correct event from the event dropdown menu.
13. When you are ready to go live, tap the red button on the screen. You will see a red "LIVE" indicator at the top of the app, which lets you know your stream from your mobile device is now live.
14. The stream from your device will push to Vimeo, which will, in turn, push it to your OTT site. Be sure to double-check your Vimeo account and your OTT site to ensure the stream is live.
15. When you are ready to end the stream, click End event on the OTT platform, then end the stream in the mobile app by tapping the Stop button. Your stream will then automatically archive as a video on both Vimeo and Vimeo OTT.