This article covers the most frequently asked questions we get regarding tax collection and exemption.
Do I need to pay sales tax or VAT on my Vimeo Subscription?
Whether you pay tax on your Vimeo plan and stock purchases depends on your state or country.
In which U.S. states do you collect sales tax?
For Vimeo plan purchases, we collect U.S. sales tax in these states and districts:
- New Mexico
- New York
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington, D.C.
- West Virginia
The sales tax charged for users in the same state may vary based on zip code.
In which countries do you apply VAT or GST?
VAT (value-added tax) or GST (goods and services tax) will be applied to Vimeo plan purchases made in the following countries:
- Czech Republic
- New Zealand
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- South Korea
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
Is my U.S. non-profit organization eligible for tax exemption?
Non-profit organizations are eligible for tax refunds on their Vimeo purchases. If your tax-exempt organization was charged sales tax, contact us for a tax refund. We will require some official documentation showing your organization's tax-exempt status and then grant the exemption. If you need additional assistance regarding your organization’s tax-exempt status, consult with a tax professional.
⚠️Note: When reaching out to us, please provide your organization's tax-exempt documentation in your initial message.
Does my VAT or GST ID make me eligible for tax exemption?
Your VAT ID may allow for a tax exemption if your ID is valid for cross-border transactions. Please contact the competent authorities in your country for clarification on your VAT ID status.
Please note that we are not able to provide tax exemptions for VAT charges for the following countries:
- South Africa
- South Korea
How can I enter my VAT or GST ID to create a tax exemption?
If you are VAT exempted but live in a country where Vimeo collects VAT, you can enter a VAT ID while making new purchases or saving a credit card to your account.
Adding a VAT ID during the purchase
- Select the plan you'd like to purchase from our upgrade page.
- On the checkout page, select your country. You'll then see a button below the country name that says Add VAT ID.
- Click the button and enter your VAT ID. Once your ID has been verified, VAT will be automatically removed from your purchase price.
If you do not see this option, please contact us for further assistance.
Adding a VAT ID for your plan renewal
If you’ve already made a purchase without a VAT ID and you want an exemption to be applied to your plan renewal, you’ll need to add a new payment method to your billing settings and delete your old billing methods:
- Log in to Vimeo and visit the Payment methods tab of your Billing Settings.
- Click the X to delete any saved credit cards that aren’t currently being used for renewal.
- Click + Add a new card
- If you select a country where Vimeo collects VAT, a link will appear that says Have a VAT ID?
- Click Have a VAT ID?, then enter and validate your VAT ID.
- Click Add payment method
- Now select the new payment method in the drop-down menu in the plan section.
- Click the X next to your previous card in the Payment Methods area if applicable. (It should be the only one with the X next to it if you followed each of the steps above.)
I am tax/VAT exempt, but I was charged tax/VAT on my purchase. How can I resolve this?
If you are a tax/VAT-exempt business but forgot to provide your documentation or VAT ID before the purchase process, you can contact us for a tax refund. Be sure to include your full VAT ID in the message (or for U.S. purchases, your exemption documentation).
Is my purchase made in the Vimeo or Vimeo Create app eligible for tax exemption?
My country's VAT ID is not accepted by your system. How can I get it added?
You'll need to contact us directly to send us your VAT ID, as we'll need to manually add it to your account. This is required for the following countries:
- New Zealand
- United Arab Emirates (UAE)
- United Kingdom (UK)